Search using this query type:

Advanced Search (Items only)

1920 to 1929

Jesuit Residence - Exterior
  • 1920 Bennett Medical College merges with Loyola Medical becoming the Loyola School of Medicine.

  • 1922 The Correspondence Study Division is founded; Loyola becomes one of the few universities in the world offering college courses through the correspondence method. The School of Commerce, later renamed the College of Commerce then the School of Business Administration, is established. The Administration Building (later known as the Jesuit Residence) is built on the north campus.

School of Dentistry Main Entrance
  • 1923 The 40 year old Chicago College of Dental Surgery affiliates with Loyola University, eventually becoming the Loyola University School of Dentistry.  Alumni raise funds to finance the construction of Alumni Gymnasium, which contained the best swimming pool in the Chicago area.

Rev. Austin G. Schmidt, S.J.
  • 1924 The Loyola News, renamed the Loyola Phoenix in 1970, is launched. The yearbook, The Loyolan, makes its first appearance.

  • 1925 Austin G. Schmidt, S.J., Ph.D. estabilshes Loyola's Graduate School downtown. The Law School is admitted to the American Bar Association and Association of American Law Schools.

  • 1926 Loyola adopts the nickname "Ramblers" for its athletic teams.

  • 1927 "Lake Shore Campus" is introduced to desginate the north campus in Rogers Park.