Search using this query type:

Advanced Search (Items only)

1910 to 1919

Cudahy Science Hall - Sketch
  • 1910 The College of Engineering and the Department of Pharmacy are established. The Department of Pharmacy is discontinued in 1916 and the College of Engineering in 1920. Bennett Medical College purchases the Illinois Medical College and the Reliance Medical School, becoming the Medical Department of Loyola University.

  • 1912 Cudahy Science Hall is constructed on the Rogers Park campus. Loyola University Press is established. The first University classes are offered at the north campus. 

  • 1913 The Loyola University Lecture Bureau, forerunner of the Sociology Department, is organized.

Father Frederic Siedenburg, S.J. at 1920s Commencement
  • 1914 Rev. Frederic Siedenburg, S.J., opens the School of Sociology, later renamed the School of Social Work, the first School of Social Work at a Catholic institution of higher learning in the United States. University College, Loyola's evening school, is established. The School of Sociology admitts women students on a restricted basis - part-time evening and weekends at the Downtown campus. Previously, women students had only been admitted to the professional schools (Law and Medicine).

  • 1915 Loyola University assumes complete control of the Medical School from Bennett Medical College.

  • 1917 The Medical School moves to 706 South Lincoln Street, taking over the Chicago College of Medicine and Surgery.

  • 1918 Summer School is established. Two units of the Student Army Training Corps are organized - a general unit numbering 230 men, and General Hosptial Unit 108 consisting of 190 students from the Medical School.