Search using this query type:

Advanced Search (Items only)

1870 to 1899

St. Ignatius College
  • 1870 Rev. Arnold Damen, S.J., founds St. Ignatius College, which is affiliated with Holy Family Parish in Chicago, IL.  Opened on September 5 only to men, the school consists of 7 faculty members and 37 students.

  • 1871 The Great Chicago Fire begins a few blocks from St. Ignatius Collge and destroys nearly three square miles of the downtown area. Holy Family Parish and St. Ignatius College survive the blaze, and serve as a safe area for the devestated neighborhood. The college re-opens just two weeks after the fire.

  • 1873 The addition of a west wing onto St. Ignatius College completes the original building plans.
Chrysostomian Debating Society, 1899
  • 1875 The Chrysostomian debating society is formed.  The Debating Society is now Loyola's oldest student organization.

  • 1876 The first class graduates from St. Ignatius College.

  • 1888 The first student publication, Easter Chimes, an eight page magazine is published.

  • 1892 A scientific academy and a camera club are organized.

  • 1895 Modern science labs are added in hopes of increasing enrollment. A St. Ignatius alumni association is established.