Search using this query type:

Advanced Search (Items only)

1900 to 1909

Henry J. Dumbach, S.J.
  • 1900 The graduate course in philosophy is initiated, marking the first of the graduate degree programs.

  • 1901 The Collegian, precursor to the Loyola Quarterly, is first published.

  • 1905 Henry J. Dumbach, S.J., purchases 19.546 acres of land in Rogers Park, the future home of Loyola's Lake Shore Campus, from the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad.

  • 1908 The School of Law opens as the Lincoln College of Law, the first of Loyola's professional schools.  The first class consisted of 30 students.

Dumbach Hall
  • 1909 St. Ignatius College is granted a new charter by the State of Illinois on October 23rd and is officially renamed Loyola University. The first professional and graduate degrees are granted. The Medical Department of Loyola University is established through affiliation with the Illinois Medical College. Dumbach Hall, the first building built on the new campus, is finished and Loyola Academy holds its first classes there in the fall of 1909. Loyola organizes its first football team followed by basketball and indoor baseball teams by the end of the year.