Search using this query type:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Dumbach Medal

The first Dumbach medal was awarded to Alphonse J. Zamiara in 1910. Mr. Andres Maguire donated the medal to honor both the awardee and the memory of Henry J. Dumbach, S.J., who taught chemistry and mathematics at St. Ignatius College prior to becoming president of the college. It was Dumbach who oversaw the expansion of St. Ignatius College into Loyola University and who purchased the first 19.5 acres of land in Rogers Park, the future home of Loyola's Lake Shore Campus. The medal was presented yearly to an outstanding chemistry student until 1922, after which it was not presented again until 1988.