Search using this query type:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Stritch Annual Awards Dinner

Annual Award Dinner Recipients, 1979
George Halas, recipient of Sword of Loyola, and James E. McDonald, recipient of Stritch Medal, at the Annual Awards Dinner in 1979.

The Stritch Annual Awards dinner began in 1950 when Chicago's Archbishop, Samuel Cardinal Stritch, organized the first Cardinal's Dinner as a fundraising event for the Loyola University School of Medicine and continued until his death in 1958. To honor the memory and contribution of Cardinal Stritch, the Loyola University School of Medicine was renamed the Stritch School of Medicine in 1958. When the dinner was revived in 1960 it was renamed the Stritch School of Medicine Annual Awards Dinner. The Sword of Loyola and the Stritch Medal are presented during the dinner. The event is the longest running black tie gala in Chicago.