Search using this query type:

Advanced Search (Items only)

1930 to 1939

Cudahy Library
  • 1930 The Elizabth M. Cudahy Memorial Library, designed by Andrew Rebori, is dedicated on the Lake Shore Campus. The Board of Lay Trustees is formed. Phi Alpha Rho, an honorary debating fraternity, is established at Loyola. The varsity football program has its last season at Loyola. 

Father Samuel Knox Wilson, S.J. with Medical Heads
  • 1933 Rev. Samuel K. Wilson, a graduate of St. Ignatius College, becomes the first alumni President of his alma mater.  Evening Commerce School courses are offered at the Lake Shore Campus. The Honors Program begins, and the Graduate School starts offering courses at the Lake Shore Campus.

  • 1934 West Baden College (later Bellarmine School of Theology, then the Jesuit School of Theology in Chciago) affiliates with Loyola. A Master of Education program is approved.

Sister Helen Jarrell, first Dean of School of Nursing
  • 1935 The School of Nursing is established and Sister Helen Jarell, R.N.,A.N., is appointed the first dean. It is the first fully accredited collegiate school of nursing in the State of Illinois.

Madonna della Strada Groundbreaking on June 6, 1938
  • 1936 The cornerstone for Madonna della Strada Chapel, dream of James Mertz, S.J., and designed by architect Andrew Rebori, is laid.

  • 1937 The Sisters of Mercy approve Mercy Hospital becoming the University Hospital of the Loyola Medical School.

  • 1939 The Loyola chapter of Alpha Sigma Nu, the national Jesuit honorary society, is introduced.