Alpha Sigma Nu
Alpha Sigma Nu, the national honor society of Jesuit colleges and universities, was founded at Marquette University in 1915 by John Danihy, S.J., dean of Journalism, as Alpha Sigma Tau. The name was changed to Alpha Sigma Nu in 1930 after a conflict arose with Alpha Sigma Nu, the national education sorority founded in 1898. Alpha Sigma Nu was formed in accordance with ideals of Jesuit higher education to honor students who distinguish themselves in scholarship, service, and loyalty. In 1924, Gamma Pi Epsilon was established as the female counterpart of Alpha Sigma Nu to honor outstanding women. Both honor societies merged in 1973. Membership to Alpha Sigma Nu is one of the highest honors that can be given at a Jesuit college or university. The honor society is open to students at the twenty-eight Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States; two in Canada; and one in South Korea; and has over 60,000 members.
The Loyola University Chicago chapter of Alpha Sigma Nu was established in 1938 and was the seventh chapter of the honor society to be established. Members are required to be in the upper 15% of their class and need to exhibit service to Loyola and to the community. Students are nominated for membership in Alpha Sigma Nu by faculty.