During the late 19th and early 20th centuries the modern network of scientific societies, research centers, and government agencies began to take shape. Jesuits participated in many of these groups and created thier own research organizations.
In 1911, Rev. Frederick L. Odenback of St. Ignatius College in Cleveland established the Jesuit Seismological Service. This network of stations reported earthquake data via postcard to the central office. In 1925, the Jesuit Seismological Association was formed during a meeting of Jesuit geophysicists at Loyola University of Chicago. The Association cooperated with other national and international organizations to report and study seismic activity throughout the world.